Sunday

Today started off with church at 10.30am, well 11.05am (Sierra Leone!!!!) and then I made my way to the annual thanksgiving service at Nelson Mandela High School. It was quite emotional to be back here. It was also a completely different place since Ebola. Many of the pupils I knew have now left but some came by to say hi. It was strange, some of them are young men and women, who I have known since age 12. Some of the older students from 2011 are now mothers and fathers too; it was strange.

The school had laid on a remarkable array of speeches, performances, prayer and music and I was treated, well, you'll see in assembly - like a chief!  all the staff wore the same outfits for the day; me included.

The day ended with meeting the Ebola orphans that you have supported. I had the privilege of providing them with biscuits and small items of food. This was hard, very hard; I thought that I would be prepared for them. However meeting them I realised it wasn't a news story, Ebola happened and thousands died in this area of Waterloo. To try and illustrate I gave a child a small sweet - his face shone and he was so happy and thankful; he said thank you Mr John several times. Think about that - because he was given a sugary sweet.

It was a great day of contrasts. Thank you for all the support that you give to the work of our schools and humanitarian aid in Sierra Leone.

Mr Power (it took 2 hours to upload this blog)

             
                      Nelson Mandela High (now with a Prep School) singing,
                    Some white man....Mr Sandi to the right....
                         Teachers from Nelson Mandela

                   Mr Power with Miss Hannah Davies (Hope Prep) who visited us in 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks

Hope Prep and journeys end.